The roots of the Chapel of Our Saviour lie deep in the past. As part of Christ’s one, holy, catholic, and apostolic Church, this parish, like all catholic and apostolic congregations, finds its origins in, and owes its life to, the commission of Jesus Christ to “go into all the world and make disciples.”
In the early 1950s, Episcopalians in Colorado Springs responded to this commission by seeking to provide a place in the Broadmoor area for the Christian education of area children. In 1954, the north end of the present property, including the present buildings, formerly the Allen estate, was acquired and made available for the establishment of parochial mission by Grace Church.
During the first months, services were held in the former living room with Father Scott Frantz as the first Vicar of the parish. Since the room seated only 90 people on folding chairs, it was soon decided to clean the carriage house and cover the grease pit so that services could be held there.
In 1956, the El Pomar Foundation purchased the remaining five acres of the present property and gave it to the mission.
The remodeling of the carriage house into the present church building was a gift of the Howard Creel family. The Rt. Rev. Joseph Minnis, Bishop of Colorado, consecrated the building as a church on October 30, 1959. The Vicar at that time was the Rev. William Shannon.
In 1963, the Rev. James Burnette succeeded Father Shannon as Vicar and was elected the first Rector of Our Saviour in 1965 when the mission became a parish. The Rev. Harvard Wilbur served the parish as Rector from 1972 until 1985, and the Rev. Dayle Casey served as the third Rector of the parish from 1986 until 2009. The Rev. Denson Freeman served from 2011 to 2016. The Rev. David Dill has served as the Priest in Charge since February of 2017.